Why You'll Love This Job
New Story Schools is an educational organization comprised of special education schools in Pennsylvania. We offer an academic learning environment integrated with behavior support services for students ages 5 through 21 experiencing social, emotional educational and behavioral challenges. As an alternate educational placement, we work closely with families, school districts and other professionals to create individualized program unique to each student.
New Story Schools is seeking a Reading Specialist to support our schools in New Cumberland, PA. The Reading Specialist supports the mission of New Story Schools by overseeing literacy programming for students. The Reading Specialist provides literacy instruction and enrichment to students through assessments of student literacy proficiency, direct student instruction and consultation with teachers regarding best practices in literacy instruction.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Interpret results of literacy screening assessments for planning student instruction.
- Provide diagnostic testing, as needed, to determine specific instructional needs for students identified with reading and/or writing challenges.
- Provide recommendations on the selection of supplies and materials needed for standards aligned curriculum and enrichment interventions for reading and language arts.
- Develop instructional plans for use in the full classroom, as well as individual or small group instruction.
- Plan and implement sequential learning experiences for students using a variety of instructional strategies, consistent with instructional goals, school wide initiatives/objectives, and Core Curriculum content standards.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the student’s multidisciplinary team, other related service professionals, school district personnel, outside service providers, and the student’s family to design and implement appropriate services.
- Provide direct instruction in the areas of reading and writing for identified students in both individual and small group instruction.
- Assist in the development and implementation of student Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) goals in the areas of reading and writing.
- Maintain records and provide evidence of growth and progress for school teams, students and their parents.
- Consult with classroom staff on instructional strategies to support reading comprehension including phonological awareness, decoding, word recognition, vocabulary development, fluency development, and study strategies.
Eligible New Story employees will receive:
- Competitive pay, benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Employee discount program
- Rewards Program (Which allows you to earn points to purchase items)
- 401k options and paid school holidays
New Story Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about New Story Schools, benefits and careers please visit our website https://newstoryschools.com/careers.
Back to New Story Schools Jobs
Back to New Story Schools Home Page