Why You'll Love This Job
We are for Reading Specialist supports the mission of New Story Schools by overseeing literacy programming for students. The Reading Specialist provides literacy instruction and enrichment to students through assessments of student literacy proficiency, direct student instruction and consultation with teachers regarding best practices in literacy instruction.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Interpret results of literacy screening assessments for planning student instruction.
- Provide diagnostic testing, as needed, to determine specific instructional needs for students identified with reading and/or writing challenges.
- Provide recommendations on the selection of supplies and materials needed for standards aligned curriculum and enrichment interventions for reading and language arts.
- Develop instructional plans for use in the full classroom, as well as individual or small group instruction.
- Plan and implement sequential learning experiences for students using a variety of instructional strategies, consistent with instructional goals, school wide initiatives/objectives, and Core Curriculum content standards.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the student’s multidisciplinary team, other related service professionals, school district personnel, outside service providers, and the student’s family to design and implement appropriate services.
- Provide direct instruction in the areas of reading and writing for identified students in both individual and small group instruction.
- Assist in the development and implementation of student Individualized Educational Plan
- (IEP) goals in the areas of reading and writing.
- Maintain records and provide evidence of growth and progress for school teams, students and their parents.
- Consult with classroom staff on instructional strategies to support reading comprehension including phonological awareness, decoding, word recognition, vocabulary development, fluency development, and study strategies.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with child, parent/guardian, multidisciplinary team members, and other personnel involved in child’s educational/behavioral program.
- Must have knowledge of child development and common behavioral disorders exhibited by children and adolescents.
- Must have strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Must display a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Eligible New Story Employees will receive competitive pay and benefits including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Company-paid Short-Term Disability and Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, Hospital, and Accident Coverage
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401K with 100% vested company contribution
- Healthcare, dependent care, and commuter Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Wellness Incentive Program
- Employee Discount Program
- Rewards program which allows you to earn points to purchase items
New Story School is an educational organization comprised of special education schools in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, and Massachusetts. We offer an academic learning environment integrated with behavior support services for students diagnosed with autism or emotional/behavioral disorders. Our multidisciplinary teams collaborate with families, school districts, and community partners to empower children in overcoming challenges and creating new stories in their lives.
New Story Schools is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and embraces diversity in the workplace. We are also committed to providing a drug-free, safe workplace for our employees and the students we serve. For more information about New Story Schools careers and benefits, please visit our website https://newstoryschools.com/careers.
To view all our open opportunities, please visit our career site at https://newstoryjobs.com/.
If you are a current New Story employee, please apply through the UKG system. Click here, log in, and navigate to “Open Opportunities” to search and apply for current open opportunities.
Back to New Story Schools Jobs
Back to New Story Schools Home Page